Aging is a natural and inevitable process that cannot be halted. The aging process is primarily caused by loss of skin elasticity. Skin elasticity refers to our skin’s ability to stretch and bounce back into place. Our skin elasticity is highest when we’re young and slowly decreases as we age. Loss of skin elasticity gives us wrinkles and saggy skin. While it’s inevitable that our skin will become less elastic as we get older, there are ways that can slow the process. Slowing down the aging process of the skin is possible through various measures such as sun protection, a healthy skincare routine, hydration, a healthy lifestyle, avoiding smoking, stress reduction, sufficient sleep, regular exercise, and cosmetic procedures.
Many people opt for lifestyle changes such as giving up smoking, paying more attention to their daily skincare, supplements, sun protection (sunscreen, hats and umbrellas), following a healthy diet and getting enough sleep yet some have started to choose far more dramatic measures for quicker and more noticeable results.
Deciding to select an aesthetic treatment for aging means further research into invasive and non-invasive treatments, each of which comes with its advantages and disadvantages. By definition, invasive treatments are those that require a trained professional to penetrate the skin with an incision. These treatments not only have sizable downtime but are also generally expensive, time-consuming and harbor risks such as nerve injury, scarring, and bruise. However, they also have rapid and striking results. Cosmetic treatments included in this category are facelifts (thread lift), laser resurfacing, chemical peels, and injectable fillers.
On the other hand, non-invasive treatments employ non-surgical measures to stimulate collagen and elastin production within the deeper skin layer. They have the advantage of having significantly lower health risks, and shorter downtime. Nonsurgical anti-aging devices include radiofrequency (RF), High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound(HIFU), Ultherapy and thermage.
At-home skin tightening devices are one example of these non-invasive treatments, being a more convenient and affordable alternative to spending a large amount of money on these treatments, and thereby becoming an increasingly sought-after innovation. At-home skin tightening devices employ various techniques in order to stimulate collagen production (collagen is the main component in the skin that contributes to elasticity, and once its production declines, the skin starts to sag and show signs of aging) and so reduces wrinkles and sagginess.
Some of the different techniques being used include RF, ultrasound and light therapy, all of which are primarily for heat generation that causes not only collagen production but also remodels collagen, thereby resulting in tighter, firmer skin, improved tone and texture, and reduced wrinkles. At-home skin tightening devices have beaten their other counterparts due to their safety, efficacy, and effectiveness after being the subject of many clinical studies: this makes them a prevalent choice for those who seek non-invasive treatments for their aging.
While at-home skin tightening devices are usually preferred for their safety, there is a chance of side effects including burns, scarring and allergic reactions, which is why it is always crucial to conduct research before picking a device and ensuring it has been approved by the FDA thus making it generally safe for usage.
Below is a list of some of the pros of using at-home skin-tightening devices:
- Cost effectiveness: As opposed to cosmetic procedures, at-home skin-tightening devices are affordable, allowing you to achieve similar results within a reasonable price.
- Convenience: Another appealing aspect of at-home skin-tightening devices is the adjustability offered by them, enabling people to use them in the comfort of their own homes with control over timing and pace.
- Effectiveness: Research has increasingly shown the effectiveness of at-home skin tightening devices. The growing body of evidence supporting their efficacy gives users confidence in their ability to achieve results, further validating their use.
- Downtime: Unlike medical procedures that require considerable downtime for recovery post-procedure, at-home skin tightening devices have the added advantage of minimal downtime, granting users the ability to incorporate their frequent utilization in their routine without having to miss social or work obligations.
- Safety: Most devices are designed to enable people to easily handle them without side effects, however, it is mandatory to exercise caution and stick to the manufacturer’s guidelines to reap maximum benefits safely.
On the other hand, there are also some cons to the usage of at-home skin-tightening devices:
- Treatment may take longer to produce results: Some devices may require consistent usage of weeks or months before the results can be noticed.
- Less efficacy: The results of at-home skin-tightening device usage may not be as noticeable as those of professional treatments such as derma-abrasion, RF or laser skin resurfacing.
- Safety hazard: At-home skin tightening devices generally have a favorable safety profile. Most people can use these devices without experiencing any serious side effects. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for proper use to ensure safety. Though uncommon, possible side effects include scarring, burns or allergic reactions.
- Uncomfortable usage: Redness, irritation and swelling are some of the uncomfortable side effects that can be caused by use.
Keeping in mind the pros and cons listed above, it is advised to give suitable consideration before choosing an at-home skin-tightening device to use. Some of the factors that should be considered include simplicity of usage, effectiveness, suitability with skin type, positively reviewed, comfortable to hold, and FDA approval. It is advised not to use a device not approved by the FDA.
The internet is vast, brimming with infinite possibilities and technologies, which makes it hard for users to be able to select a suitable device. Evenskyn Lumo at-home skin-tightening is one such device that is recommended for usage. While being FDA-approved, it also boasts numerous positive reviews from users for its effectiveness in the reduction of wrinkles and improving skin texture. Moreover, it has been proven to be suitable for usage on the face and the neck which makes it even more appealing for users desiring a safe and efficient choice.
The use of skin-tightening devices for aging treatments is increasing in popularity because they are considered safe and efficient. It is extremely crucial not to use any device or treatment unless absolutely convinced it is a suitable choice for them to ensure your and your skin’s safety.