By Shannon Campbell
For many of us, trips to your local beauty clinic for laser hair removal treatments aren’t always an option. It’s expensive, and multiple sessions are needed to see exact results.
So instead we turn to at-home treatments for effective hair removal. This leaves us with the most common option - shaving. But in the last few years, as cosmetic science and technology have developed further and faster than ever, a new at-home treatment is soaring in popularity.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) As A Hair Removal Technique
IPL, which stands for Intense Pulsed Light is a hair removal technique that is very similar to laser hair removal but with notable differences. IPL uses broad-spectrum visible light to target melanin pigments in the hair, damaging the hair follicle. Light waves used in IPL are absorbed less deeply by the skin and hair follicles than by a concentrated laser.
The reason IPL is such a useful alternative to laser removal is that it can be used as an at-home treatment. Over the years, many different at-home IPL handsets have appeared on the market, and it is slowly gaining traction and popularity with women all over the world.
But is IPL as an at-home treatment superior to shaving? Today we are going to examine just that, by comparing the positives and negatives of both laser hair removal treatments.
- It’s cheap. Multiple disposable razors can be bought for as little as $5 a pack.
- It’s easy. Some methods of hair removal can be long-winded or complicated, but shaving is a straightforward process. It can come in handy when you’re running out of time and only have a razor and shaving cream on-hand.
- Most hair removal methods can be painful, uncomfortable, or irritating to the skin. However, shaving is one of the few completely painless methods (when done correctly).
- It only takes around 10-20 minutes to shave your legs or other areas of the body, which is quite quick compared to some methods.
- The biggest downside to shaving is that shaving results only last for up to a week maximum before hair grows back. For some, regrowth can occur within a day of shaving.
- Shaving is not suitable for all skin types, as it can cause irritation to sensitive skin.
- Regular shaving in the same areas can cause red or dark spots. Red spots are often the result of irritation from not moisturizing, and dark spots occur when hair is removed from the surface of the skin rather than from the roots.
- Shaving can result in ingrown hairs, which occur when hair regrows into the skin. Ingrown hairs can be painful and irritating and can potentially result in infection.
- It can be dangerous when not done properly, as people can be easily cut if not paying close attention.
- Unlike some laser-based cosmetic treatments, IPL requires no downtime after use.
- There is a relatively minimal chance it will damage skin, compared to other laser treatments.
- Can be performed over a short period, approximately 15-30 minutes at a time.
- After only a few treatments you should notice a significant reduction in hair growth, and for many these results are permanent.
- Results last much longer than shaving, and after a number of sessions, your skin can remain smooth for as long as 8 weeks at a time.
- Unlike laser hair removal, IPL usually does not permanently remove all hair.
- Some mild redness and swelling can occur after use but will subside within 48 hours.
- For some, an IPL hair removal device can be expensive to purchase.
- Some IPL devices are not as effective on all skin and hair types, such as darker skin or blond and red hair.
Conclusion: IPL vs Shaving
In our opinion, using an IPL hand device is a far more effective treatment for hair removal! While it may be more expensive at face value, the long-term effects are worth it considering the time you will save having to maintain the hair regrowth rate of shaving. With shaving, you can also expect to spend money on razors indefinitely, which eventually exceeds the price of a one-off IPL purchase.
If you’re looking for a 100% safe and effective IPL device, consider the EvenSkyn® Pulsar: At-Home IPL Laser Hair Removal Handset. The Pulsar has been created using the latest IPL technology, and can both prevent hair growth and rejuvenate the skin. It also has 8 intensity levels that can be used to accommodate all skin and hair types.