Radiofrequency based therapies and treatments are gradually gaining popularity for skin tightening and removing wrinkles from the skin, thereby making the skin look young. Radiofrequency treatments utilize electromagnetic energy waves, in the form of radiations, to produce anti-ageing effects. The radiations produced by RF treatments are a billion times lesser powerful as compared to X rays and hence are much safer as compared to any other Radiofrequency exposure.1
Radiofrequency based Therapies and treatments have been in use in surgeries related to aesthetics since last 70 years. However, with the advancement of technology, now home based anti-ageing Radiofrequency treatments are also available. These can be as effective as surgeries and hence eliminate the need for you to go under the needle to get a young skin.8
How does Radiofrequency Treatments Work:
Radiofrequency treatments can be ideal for anyone who is experiencing wrinkles, cracks or lines in the skin and who wants to have a younger look on the skin. The RF treatment can be taken by any adult over 18 years of age and is perfectly safe for any skin tone. There might be few exceptions as people with broken capillaries, active acne, rosacea, or metal places, and pregnant women might want to avoid the RF method.7
Radiofrequency therapies and treatments typically work by stimulating collagen and producing elastin in the skin, that further helps in repairing the aged skin. The treatments work by heating the deep layers of the skin, using advanced radiowave technology, between 122 and 167°F (50–75°C). During the procedure, the epidermis or the top layer of the skin is not damaged. As per various studies, temperatures greater than 115°F can result in production of heat shock proteins. These proteins can further cause the collagen in the skin to tighten and contract. The proteins also stimulate the production of new collagen fibers in the body, which will further result in improved skin quality, and a firm and tightened skin. The Radiofrequency based treatments can be used at multiple locations in the body including under chin, Face wrinkles, Nasolabial folds, lines or folds at the forehead or near eyebrows, lines under the eye, or loose skin anywhere on the body.1,7
Benefits of Radiofrequency Treatments
Radiofrequency treatments can have multiple benefits for the skin apart from wrinkle reduction and skin tightening. The treatments work on the overall maintenance of the body, thereby resulting in an enhanced anti-ageing look of the body. Some of the areas where radiofrequency treatments work include:
- Body contouring - RF therapy is useful in contouring the overall body as it helps in tightening the loose skin by stimulating collagen production. A study conducted in 2017 demonstrated that 24 out of 25 participants who underwent 5 to 8 RF therapy sessions saw an up-gradation in the shape of the body. A total of 23 participants out of 25 were happy to see their results.
- Fighting the damage by UV rays - Exposure to harmful sun rays/ultraviolet (UV) rays can cause the breakdown of the collagen fibers in the skin and can thus, result in disorganization of the skin. Radiofrequency based treatments can be helpful in such cases as well. A study conducted in 2011 on a small group of participants showed that 3 months of RF therapy treatment led to clinically noteworthy enhancements with somewhat, mild to moderate signs of UV damage.
- Wrinkles and fine lines - A study conducted on 70 middle-aged women in 2018 investigated the effect of radiofrequency skin tightening under eyes to reduce the wrinkles. The results showed that over 6 weeks of three treatments significantly decreased their wrinkles. A new innovative device named EvenSkyn Lumo includes features such a photo rejuvenation, electrical muscle stimulation, and phototherapy beyond the main radiofrequency function and therefore, helps with skin tightening and anti-wrinkle/anti-aging processes. The device also comes with 5 modes including Photon, ION, ENI + Photon, EMS + Photon, Cool + Photon which can be used for multiple skin rejuvenation purposes.9
- Face contouring - Radiofrequency for face contouring is an effective technique and has found widespread applications. A small study observed the effect of RF therapy along with electromagnetic treatment for 8 weeks on a group of 11 participants. The results highlighted remarkable up-gradation in facial skin laxity, and significant improvements in their facial contour in 73% of the participants.
- Face slimming - RF treatment therapy has the potential of slimming the face as well. A study conducted in 2017 on 14 middle-aged Asian women observed positive effects from RF treatment in cutting down fat in the lower face. More than 90% of the women, after 5 weeks experienced a reduction in the amount of fat, and 60% of women were satisfied or very satisfied with the outcome.1
Radiofrequency based treatments are gradually emerging as valuable and effective treatment options that can be used to rejuvenate and tighten a photoaged skin. The RF therapies can also assist in contouring laxity on facial skin. These treatments stimulate the process of repair, and reverse the histological and clinical aging signs, with the benefit of a comparatively risk-free method and with requirement of no surgical intervention.5
- Product Manual