Wrinkles are naturally occurring phenomena, caused primarily due to aging, and hence, are imminent in every individual. When a person starts getting older, the skin naturally becomes less hydrated, saggy, weaker, and less firm, leading to fine lines called wrinkles. Apart from aging, some other factors that cause wrinkles include smoking, sun or UV light exposure and repeated facial expressions such as smiling, squinting, frowning.1,2,5
Since you cannot stop aging, does this mean that you have to live with wrinkled skin for the rest of your life? Essentially not! There are some very popular treatments available, natural as well as clinical, either to slow the wrinkle process or treat wrinkles to an extent. Some of the popular treatment methods are as mentioned:
Top 10 at-home to clinical treatment options for wrinkles
- Aloe vera - Aloe vera has multiple healing properties. A clinical study conducted in 2008 suggested that intake of gel aloe supplement every day significantly decreased the wrinkles in just around 3 months. In another research study, scientists found out that the application of aloe vera gel on the skin resulted in a major reduction of the wrinkles and in addition, production of collagen, leading to a more youthful skin.
- Superfoods – “Superfoods” are the foods that are highly nutritious and have multiple health benefits. Numerous superfoods are available that help in preventing wrinkles and enhance the overall skin health. In a study conducted in the Netherlands, scientists studied the diets of older Dutch people and found that the men and women who had healthy eating habits had fewer wrinkles as compared to the ones with unhealthy eating habits. Some of the popular superfoods include:
- Chia seeds
- Egg whites
- Sweet potatoes
- Antioxidants - A diet rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C, carotenoids, vitamin E, and lycopene may help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, preserve skin elasticity, and lead to overall good skin health.
- A study conducted in 2008, included 10 participants who applied a normal gel, containing no additional ingredient, on one side of their face, and vitamin C gel on the other side. All the participants showed fewer signs of sun damage and wrinkle appearance on the side treated with vitamin C gel. The participants experienced elevated hydration, decreased inflammation, and increased collagen production due to vitamin C.
- Hydration – Staying hydrated is key to rejuvenating the skin. When the skin is dehydrated, it starts to sag and thin out, leading to the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Hence, it is advised to drink plenty of water to keep the skin plumped up and hydrated.1,7,10,11
- Evenskyn Lumo – One of the best at-home wrinkle and anti-aging treatment options is an innovative device called Evenskyn Lumo. It is an anti-aging device that provides LED therapy lights to treat wrinkles, mild acne, slow down the aging process, and provide anti-inflammatory properties.
- Evenskyn Lumo is an ultra-premium radiofrequency-based professional-grade anti-aging beauty handset for home use. The device is loaded with advanced technological features, which aid in reversing the effect of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin etc. The users of the device have reported noticeable results after each use and significant reduction of wrinkles over successive weekly sessions. 12
Picture Credits: evenskyn - https://www.evenskyn.com/products/skin-tightening-machine
- Neurotoxins – Neurotoxins comprise of botulinum toxin in a highly diluted form. Neurotoxins such as Botox, Jeuveau, and Xeomin are known to prevent formation of dynamic wrinkles and reduce aging lines temporarily by stopping the muscle contractions, responsible for the formation of wrinkles.
- Lasers – Lasers that can heat deeper layers of the dermis are known as non-ablative resurfacing lasers. These work to improve multiple aging signs including reducing wrinkles, at once without causing any destruction to the outer surface of the skin. Lasers act by triggering a healing response after utilizing targeted heat. This response ultimately boosts collagen production, which helps in making the skin firmer over time.
- Dermabrasion – Dermabrasion is primarily used for the treatment of wrinkles, sun damage and age spots. In the dermabrasion procedure, the dermatologist removes the outer skin layer from the face with the help of a superior rotating brush. Slowly the new and healthy skin grows and replaces the old skin. For the first few weeks, the new skin appears to be slightly pink or red. The patient may require more than one sitting in the dermabrasion procedure.
- Thread lift – Thread lift, also known as barbed suture lift, is a procedure wherein temporary sutures are given to provide a subtle yet visible "lift" in the patient’s loose skin. This method does not involve any surgical removal of the loose facial skin, instead, the cosmetologist simply stitches up some portions of the skin, leading to the lift. The procedure results in face tightening and lifting, which ultimately helps in reducing wrinkles and improving other anti-aging signs.8,9
- Facelift - A facelift procedure involves the removal of an excessive amount of fat and skin surgically from the neck and face areas. This results in the tightening of the connective tissue and muscular layers. The results of the facelift procedure generally stay up to 7-10 years.10,3,4,5,6
There can be multiple treatment methods for reducing wrinkles and fine lines, however, the results of the different options may vary depending on the depth and location of the wrinkles. The natural process of skin aging cannot be stopped, and hence, you might need to employ one of the aforementioned treatment methods to maintain a youthful skin for a longer period of time.3