Sagging and loosening of the skin is part of the aging process, but other factors are also associated with loosening of the skin like exposure to the sun, genetics, smoking, air pollutants, diet, etc. All these factors affect the ability of the body to restore the damage done to the skin cells.1 Skin tightening is considered as the foundation in the skin rejuvenation process, which involves a variety of products, devices, and procedures that help in the process of skin tightening, by improving the skin laxity and crepiness of the skin.1,2. These procedures make skin tighter by causing some degree of shrinkage of the skin or lifting the skin, through creating the appearance of tighter and more youthful-looking skin.2 many devices can make the skin tighter through various energy-based solutions.1 Skin tightening process involves collagen denaturation which results in shrinkage of the skin and tissue tightening. The natural wound healing response causes the generation of new collagen and elastin.1
Top features to look for in an ideal skin tightening handset
The skin texture of young people usually is rich in protein like elastin and collagen. As a person starts growing older, the level of these proteins also starts decreasing, and the skin also starts to sag. However, there are many skin tightening treatments that help with the loose or sagging skin and make the skin tighter and helps the individual to look younger and more confident. Many technologies help in the skin tightening process, we are detailing some of the most effective and sought below:
- Radiofrequency: It is an alternating current that flows from the electrode to the skin which is in contact with the radiofrequency device. When the current flows through the tissue the ions inside the tissue flow in the direction of the current due to high-frequency changes, this movement of the ions results in the production of heat in the skin. It helps in the recovery of the lost collagen; radiofrequency can be used for all skin types as compared to some other techniques. In radiofrequency therapy, heat is generated in the dermal layers of the skin to stimulate collagen contraction and neo-collagenases for skin tightening.3
- A clinical study showed improvements in skin tightening using radiofrequency. Skin tightening increased from 35% to 40% at the end of treatment to 70% to 75% at 3 months post-treatment. The appearance of facial rhytides was improved from 40% to 45% at the end of treatment to 90% to 95% at 3 months post-treatment. 8
- Ultrasound skin tightening: Ultrasound can travel through the skin without harming the skin, the ultrasound causes heating, tightening of the deeper tissues. The device used employs sound waves which help in boosting collagen stores that are present under the skin surface. The ultrasound skin tightening technique is new and does not work for everyone. The technique is shown to be effective on people with heavy skin with more fat.2,4
- Laser Skin tightening: Laser skin tightening is a facial skin rejuvenation treatment that helps in improving the appearance of the skin by tightening the loose skin. Laser skin tightening treatment is a minimally invasive non-surgical process that uses an infra-red-light source, it tightens up the skin by heating the collagen under the skin. The results are visible immediately after the treatment, the skin tightening procedure encourages the production of new collagen in the area where treatment has been done. It promotes the absorption of collagen from other areas as well.5
- A clinical study assessed skin rejuvenation using laser therapy, and established many proteins related to collagen synthesis are produced with this therapy. Different assessments have revealed the survival and activation of fibroblasts and new keratinocytes, with an increase of collagen and elastin fibers in the dermis. It also showed a reduction of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and heat shock proteins (HSPs) as a result of different low-power laser therapies of skin.9
- LED light therapy for skin tightening: LED light therapy is a technique that uses a varying wavelength of light including light and blue. The LEDs do not contain ultraviolet rays, therefore are safe for use. It is advised that LED therapy should be used by people having skin rashes. This therapy does not cause burns as compared to some other treatment method used, therefore are safer than those methods. Red or infrared light is used for the treatment of the epidermis or outer layer of the skin. When the red light is applied to the skin, the epidermis absorbs the light and causes the stimulation of collagen protein. Red light is also thought to improve circulation and reduce inflammation giving a healthier glow to the skin. Blue light targets the sebaceous gland or the oil glands. Overactivation of these glands leads to oily skin and acne. Blue light therapy helps reduce the over-activated sebaceous gland. Both the red and blue light therapy are used together to yield the optimum benefit.6
- A 2014 study concluded that red light therapy promoted increased tissue repair and healing, and showed beneficial effects on wrinkles, acne scars, hypertrophic scars, and healing of burns.10
- Microcurrent therapy for skin tightening: Microcurrent therapy is used to work out the muscles of the face, to produce collagen which leads to tightening of the skin. Microcurrent therapy encourages the formation of ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which stimulates the formation of structural protein elastin and collagen.7
- In an observational study, photos were taken from patients' faces at the beginning of the treatment, and at end of treatment, and one month after treatment. Best results were seen at the forehead and the lowest improvements in treatment belonged to the nose and mouth region.11
Along with the technology a device offers, you can also assess which device works better for you based on some other features too. It should be convenient to use, preferably something you can use at your home, for which you do not a qualification or training before using, a cordless device or with a cord based on your liking, battery power, and of course, safety when using it by yourself at home!
There are many devices available in the market that offer one or the other of these technologies and device features to suit your comfort and convenience. Evenskyn's Lumo is one the best devices available in the market currently offering skin tightening treatments, that you can use in the comfort of your home without having to travel to a clinic. It is cost-effective and can help you save a lot of your time as well. Lumo sets itself apart from the other devices available in the market as it is a premium device offering the advantages of not one, but multiple cutting-edge technologies all in a single device. Now, how impressive is that! Lumo is a radiofrequency-based professional-grade, anti-aging beauty handset that helps in tightening the sagging skin, smoothens out fine lines, and significantly reduces wrinkles. Lumo uses a radiofrequency technique, red and blue LED light therapy, microcurrents therapy, and Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) to show its effect.
Pic Credit: https://www.evenskyn.com/products/skin-tightening-machine
Wrinkles, fine lines and sagging skin are commonly known signs of aging. As a person ages, the skin begins to sag as it loses its elasticity. Thus, making it very important to take care of the skin especially when advanced technologies are available at home. One of the best skincare premium handsets that offer all this class-leading technology at home, is Lumo. Its RF, phototherapy, and microcurrent therapy all work harmoniously with each other to render long-lasting and maximum results against multiple signs of aging. Lumo delivers significant results such as skin tightening and reduction of wrinkles and fine lines – all in just 3 uses.7
Author: Sahil S. is a medical and pharmaceutical writer who primarily write articles in the field of healthcare and wellness.